Author Byline: CareerAlley
Author Website: http://CareerAlley.com
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams
Competition. We were taught from a very young age that that's what it's all about (weren't we?). From our first sporting event (did you win or lose?) to your grades in school, to trying out for plays, sports, you name it -taking the SATs and getting into the best college (can you spell scholarship?). It was always about performance (as in being the best). But in the world that we all live in, very few people are at the best at everything, but being the best at even just one thing can sometimes make the difference. That is very much what the best companies are all about. They may not be the best in everything, but what they are best in makes all of the difference.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop - Who wouldn’t want to work at the Build-A-Bear Workshop? Ranked at 80 on this years list(up from 94) , Build-A-Bear has over 6,000 employees globally but lost 150 jobs last year. Their career site has a few links on the left for View Opportunities, Benefits and Diversity. There are four choices in the middle of the page - Retail Locations, World Bearquarters (not a misprint), Distribution Center and Internship programs. You can search from each of these tabs for specific job opportunities but you can not search across the entire company.
- Meridian Health - Ranked 79, Meridian has over 7,000 employees and hired 615 people last year. Their careers page has an overview center page with links on the left hand side for Search Jobs and links on company information. Click Career Opportunities to open their job search engine. Once you find your job, click for full details and apply directly from that page. There were 307 job opportunities when I checked the site.
- Mattel - This toymaker is number 78 on the list. They have over 30,000 employees (with 25,000 outside of the US). Their career site provides links to Jobs, Benefits, Diversity and Campus Recruiting at the top of the page. They provide a direct email address for those needing assistance in contacting them for a job. Center page is a company overview. Clicking on Search Job Listings links to a career center where post your resume, update your resume, review jobs applied for and sign up for a job alert. A quick search returned 334 job openings.
- Baker Donelson - A law firm, Baker is ranked 77 on this year's list. They are a small company, and their careers site is fairly simple with sections for Law Students, Lateral Attorneys and Professional Staff. Click the category that pertains to you. Once you click, you will see a full page with an overall description and additional links on the left hand side of the page. Click "Open Positions" to see current job openings.
- Balfour Beatty Construction - Ranked at 76, Balfour is a small construction company. Their careers page has quite a few related links on the left hand side of the page. Center page is a company overview, followed by next steps, what to expect and top 10 reasons to work at Balfour. Click job search on the left hand side of the page to see current open positions. You can also join their career center.
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.