Author Byline: CareerAlley
Author Website: http://careeralley.com
"Recovering from failure is often easier than building from success." - Michael D. Eisner
When you are looking for a job, it is usually because of some type of failure. Job elimination, bankruptcy, merger, you don't like your job and many more. It doesn't have to be your failure because so many things are outside of your control. But failure it is and now it is time to move on. You learn from your mistakes, lick your wounds and get on to the next best thing. Today's list of Fortune 500 companies are both diverse and interesting - Telecommunications, Health Care and Consumer goods. The good news is that there are thousands of job opportunities (that's right, thousands) across these 5 companies.
- Verizon Communications - Listed in 17th place on this year's Fortune 500 list, Verizon's career site includes the following categories: Verizon Corporate, Verizon Business, Verizon Telecom, Verizon Wireless and VSO (which appears to provide all of the infrastructure support to the organization). You can watch a video on the company, go to the student site, or click through to the Career Opportunities section and do a search. Tabs at the top cover off on Career Opportunities, Working Here, Who we are and more. Clicking on Career Opportunities takes you to the search page where you can narrow your search as suits you. The right hand side of the search screen has additional filters for Students. There were 1,364 job opportunities in the US when I checked the site.
- Cardinal Health - Drug distribution is the name of the game for Cardinal, which was ranked 18 this year. Their careers site has links on the left hand side of the page for College Students, Customer Service, Pharmacists and more. The center of the page has the same links, but there are some images, descriptions and additional links. There is a large Search for Jobs box on the right hand side of the page, followed by additional links (including contact information for their talent management department). You can search across all jobs by using the Search Box. There were 289 job opportunities when I checked the site.
- CVS Caremark - The nations largest drugstore chain, CVS is ranked 19 this year. Their careers page has a simple, clean interface with links on the left hand side for Why CVS, Opportunities, Recruiting events, College Students and Seniors. The middle of the page has a company overview followed by one link for Explore Opportunities. Finally, the right hand side of the page has some additional related links. Clicking on Opportunities leads to a page with a number of choices: Corporate, Retail Pharmacy, Retail Store, Distribution Center and more. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to check all jobs across the company, you must check each category to see the opportunities.
- Procter & Gamble - A home products company, P&G was ranked 20 this year. Talk about well known products - Pampers, Charmin, Crest, Tide, Bounty and the list goes on for a long time. Their career site leads with a job search engine. You can login or register on the site. The middle of the page has a short video you can watch/listen to and there are links on the left hand side for Recruiting Blueprint (steps to a successful interview process), Corporate info, Career Advice Center and more. A generic search yielded 641 job opportunities when I checked the site.
- UnitedHealth Group - A health insurer (the largest in the US), UnitedHealth was ranked 21 on the list. Their careers page has links at the top for Career Areas (all of the functional areas you may want to work), Search Jobs (by region), Why Work Here (lots of good info), College and Getting Hiried. Click on Search Jobs to lead to a basic search page (there are options at the top for advanced search as well and job matching against your profile). Using a generic search, there were 1,015 job opportunities when I checked the site.
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.