Friday, May 29, 2009

Update on my job search

I fell victim to the economy a few weeks ago getting laid off from my job. As a Recruiter, if companies are not hiring, they do not need the people like me that do the recruiting. Until the economy shows signs of recovering, companies remain in a holding pattern. But I was pleasantly surprised at how many companies are still talking to candidates like me, and how much people are generally willing to help in any way they can. Networking remains the best way to find a job as the best opportunities are typically not advertised. And with today's technology and tools, there are more ways than ever to start and increase your networking activity to find job leads. Probably too many options to be honest.

I've found in recent weeks that people consistently ask how they can use Twitter to either recruit, or to network to find a job. I'm still at level one in the Twitter world, but here are a few individuals that can help you dive into using Twitter for your job search. Here is How to Find a Job on Twitter, including proactive and reactive activities. Here is a list of suggested Twitter users to follow as part of your job search, and companies hiring on Twitter. There's always Tweet My Resume and Tweet My Jobs where you can blast your resume out to hiring managers and Recruiters, or have new jobs sent to you once they are posted. You can find various companies and recruiters on Twitter that post individual jobs by searching "jobs" with your preferred location, skill set, or whatever (jobs, Michigan, recruiter). Once you start following these people or companies, your network increases. I don't recommend using any one resource for job hunting, just like as a Recruiter I never relied on a single source. But Twitter can be one part of your overall approach and certainly help you learn either who is hiring, or who to network with that can help you along the way.

No comments: